Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Mobility problems & AG Place NY

  1. #11
    Inactive Member jessicasturm's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2005
    Posts
    923
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We all know that AG strives for great customer service, and sometimes it just doesn't happen, but AG wants to make everyone happy.

    I would suggest sending a letter to AGP addressed to the main manager and also one to the headquarters. Make it poliet but firm. You might be surprised, lots of companies will feel bad and send you a nice letter in return (and maybe they'll include a gift certificate for your next visit!)

    Jessica

  2. #12
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was just thinking that you might want to call AGPlace and ask to talk to a manager. Explain what happened and ask her to suggest a solution. Maybe you could also ask what times the store is less busy as it would be much easier for you to get around then.

    I have only been to the store once and I arrived about an hour before closing time. The store was practically empty and I had more salespeople helping me than I needed, because they were all anxious to go home. One of the salespeople got nasty with me, because I wanted to look at the faces of the Asian doll I decided to buy. They had a stack of about ten dolls and I was looking at every one of them. She was very exasperated and short with me and kept repeating "They are all the same!" Luckily I had my husband with me and he stood between me and her. She had finally raised her voice so much that she attracted the attentionn of a manager who ordered the woman to help me. It was pretty embarrassing and sad that they employ people like that.

    Our experience on the historical floor was way different. My daughter wanted a Nellie doll and the salesperson insisted on helping her find just the right Nellie to take home. She was very sweet! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Skittl1321's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 26th, 2005
    Posts
    1,310
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by wiccacat:
    One of the things that bothers me about this is that the let whole groups on with a stroller. If it's really crowded the person pushing the stroller and other kids if there's no other adult should use the elevator. The rest of the group could use the escalator and meet someplace. I had a sort of funny encounter with an elderly woman on the subway elevator once. She started to yell at me because i got on with her. She said she had arthritis. I said, "would you like to compare xrays? I've got big metal plates in my legs". This is the result of being hit by a car. I'm also legally blind and diabetic so i probably qualify as disabled enough for ADA. But i don't want to get a lawyer or have anyone at AG fired. I just wish they'd fix the doors and the elevator.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree- the person pushing the stroller and the kid in the stroller get on the elavator. If there are no other adults- than the kids who are with the person pushing the stroller can get on too. (That store is too crowded to "meet up later" with kids) If there are other adults have them all take the escalator!!!!

    That's just ridiculous. AGPNY was just not designed to handle the crowds. Is Chicago this bad? When I was there over Thanksgiving they had hired huge bouncer looking guys to say "keep moving" and "can't stand, gotta keep moving" Well often there wasn't anywhere to move- and I got told to keep moving while I was stopping and reaching down to pick up a Coconut. So apparently you have to grab and run! No stopping to shop.

    I'm not very litigious so I agree with you to not get a lawyer involved, but get a very angry letter to AG and make sure you talk about how you didn't get your Felicity. Maybe they can compensate you in some way. (Free show tickets? Discount coupon?)

    And I agree disabilities aren't evident. I had a friend who was deaf who would park in a handicap space (legally- with tags) and people would flick her off and yell and cuss at her (she can read lips) because she doesn't look disabled. Someone once asked her why she needed a handicapped space if she could walk to the entrance just fine. Not being able to hear cars put her at risk walking across parking lots. She had almost been hit many times when a car approached moving to quickly. She did tell me she didn't take a handicapped space if there was only 1 available and there was close parking.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    So few people really understand what it's like to need help to move around. My mom has actually become a real fighter for handicapped rights (as she calls them). My dad has some serious mobility problems, and you'd never know it to see him either (unless he started showing off his scars, which he is wont to do, lol). The one place that is really worth filing a complaint with is the better business bureau. They will often send over an inspector to see if the handicapped facilities are adequate. So definitely call them and call AG again, it is ridiculous that they should try to tell you that you're not allowed on an elevator!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm . . . I know that shopping is much easier for me in places where there is a cart to hang on to . . . so I was just thinking wouldn't a stroller also be helpful? I think you should get one that is nice and sturdy and put your dolls in it. Then you should march right into AG and over to the elevators. If anyone gives you a hard time, just bend over and talk to your dolls as if you are comforting them. Tell them not to be afraid of the mean lady and then just go about your business. I bet the "mean lady" will back off from the "crazy lady." LOL

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 3castles's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2006
    Posts
    372
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I'm so sorry that this happened to you. [img]frown.gif[/img]
    My husband and other family members have had similar problems in the past. I have been with him when people would act toward him like happened with you. Well, fortunately he has a very headstrong wife that doesn't put up with any junk! He wouldn't stand up for himself due to embarassment or just because he didn't feel particularly confrontational. Well....I DID feel confrontational. Each time we faced something like this I told them how rude I thought they were being and that people with disabilites can't usually ride an escalator. In fact, for about a year when my dd was 3 she was terrified of escalators and I had to take the elevators when the need arose or either drag a 3 year old up crowded slippery marble steps at the mall while trying to hold all my shopping bags and my daughter's hand!!!! I just dare anyone to be rude to me or my family because of a NEED to use an elevator!!!!!!! I sincerely wish I could have been with you at AGPNY!!! I just can't tolerate rudeness of any kind!!!!
    IF you chose to pursue this legally, they would be in grave trouble! The ADA is a very serious matter especially for a big company, it's not something to play with. Having said that, you also have to realize that some of the people working at these places make very little money and don't care how they do their job. Perhaps if you had asked to speak to a manager THAT day you would have seen a very different outcome. I'm VERY sorry that you were treated in this manner.

    We desparately want to visit AGPNY since it's the closest one to us but....I can asure you that I WILL NOT be rushed to make purchases either! Most of us that visit AGP do so after saving a lot of money and only get there after much anticipation so I don't think anyone wants
    to be rushed after they arrive! I guess I'd have to tell the bouncer dude to back off, I was shopping! I'm usually very nice and easy going but, I just can't abide by rudeness!!!!

    I hope that you will pursue your complaint to AG Corp. if not just for yourself, for future visitors to AGP! They need to realize that there are lots of people with disabilities and they don't all ride around in wheelchairs! Anyway, I doubt the original reason for putting in elevators was for strollers ONLY! Pursue this, PLEASE>>>>>.
    Other people with disabilites are counting on you
    to make yourself heard. It will probably take just a kind but, disapointed letter on your part to the right people.
    Good luck to you and keep us posted..... [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member jennifermarym's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    191
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am so sorry that happened to you. I would have gotten a manager ASAP, but that is just the way I am. If you don't get an attorney involved, at least call the manager at the store. And the response about ordering the doll, I find rude. You wanted to go to AGP to have a nice shopping experience, and apparantly AG (not to complain about them) is being unsympathetic about the entire thing. They usually strive to make the customer happy, I'm sorry, but in this case they have fallen short. I really hope you can get some peace of mind, and maybe try going back in a few weeks or something.

  8. #18
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm so sorry you had troubles! My dad has been physically disabled since I was 11 (my mom and I are also disabled, but not with mobility-impairing disabilities), and uses a cane or walker, so I tend to look at every place I visit and wonder how accessible it is to him. Long distances/a lot of walking are especially bad.

    By law, places HAVE to be accessible to people with disabilities! I really recommend writing a letter to them about how you were treated, as well as mentioning disability laws about accessibility.

    It is sad how people with disabilities are treated in this country. Most people get incredibly impatient with my dad. It's always very shocking to me to see how he's treated when out and about. We're in a small town here, so I don't think it matters whether you're in a big city or a small one--as it says in one Muppets movie, "peoples is peoples."

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 23, 2006 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  9. #19
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, the cane is a dead give away. Also i never wear pants because the contact of the fabric on my skin is too painful. I have huge, ugly scars on my leg. The type that make little kids stare and ask, "what's wrong with that lady?" It's really pretty obvious. In fairness to AG i once came out of the handicapped restroom and met a young employee. He started to say something to me but looked down and saw my leg. He said, "Sorry" and jumped out of my way. I felt bad since i think he really needed the restroom and i doubt they get much time for bathroom breaks.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, the cane is a dead give away. Also i never wear pants because the contact of the fabric on my skin is too painful. I have huge, ugly scars on my leg. The type that make little kids stare and ask, "what's wrong with that lady?" It's really pretty obvious. In fairness to AG i once came out of the handicapped restroom and met a young employee. He started to say something to me but looked down and saw my leg. He said, "Sorry" and jumped out of my way. I felt bad since i think he really needed the restroom and i doubt they get much time for bathroom breaks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •